Updated January 2017
I really appreciate the cycle computer and although I have nothing with timings and prefer to relax and I am anti-hurry and all that, I do love numbers!
Here’s where I let you know about distance, as well as all other technical and interesting or, nerdy, stuff. Below are the changes/repairs I have done so far…
The Netherlands to Cameroon: 14.500 kilometer
Georgia and Armenia: 730 kilometer
Turkey, Iraq and Iran: 3000 kilometer
Emirates & Oman: 1440 kilometer
India: 3450 kilometer and 640 kilometer in Himalaya
Europe: 3600 kilometer
USA: 3350 kilometer
Netherlands (up and down Amsterdam): 1300 kilometer (which I won’t take into account below)
The Netherlands to (and back from) Istanbul: 4285 kilometer
Greece – Italy: 3030 kilometer
South America: 4500…
Total so far: 42,500
Renewals (there’s a separate post about much used gear in ‘Big Brand Blemishes‘
Changed oil in Rohloff hub:
November 2012 after I rode 8800 kilometer
- July 2013 after I rode another 6400 kilometer
- April 2014 after another 6200 kilometer
- November 2014 oil changed at Rohloff AG Headquarter
- August 2015: oil changed, having rode 8930 kilometer
- September 2016: oil changed, having rode 7300 kilometer
- December 2012 I put a new chain on it after 9260 kilometer
- June 2013 I had it done again in Paris after about only 5460 but little choice as the chain was completely worn out
- July 2014 a new chain, after having cycled almost a 10,000 kilometer with the previous one
- August 2015 a new chain after 11,530 kilometer
- June 2013 gave me the unfortunate breaking down of the bearing in the bottom bracket. It had come loose, broken and fallen out, or what ever happened: the bicycle Shanti was little Shanti anymore… I drove 14.700 kilometer with this bearing.
- January 2013 the bearing in the steering part also came loose but I managed to tighten that before anything happened.
- October 2012 I gave Shanti a new inner tube at the back
- December 2012 I strangely did that again, must be because I was a beginner in cycling, so again a new inner tube at the back
- April 2014 I set a record, not difficult with the first cycle trip, but anyway, the front inner tube had it going for 21.689 kilometers!
- September 2014: new back tube placed after having found no puncture, yet it seeped air.
- October 2014: several punctures made me start to use slime tubes. Back and front are now outfitted with Slime tubes.
- July 2015: new front and back Slime tubes (at least 8000 kilometers with one set of Slime tubes! Including cactus states in USA).
- November 2016: new rear Slime tube.
- March 2017: new rear regular inner tube (rear SlimeTube lasted only 4 months)
- March 2017: new front regular inner tube (front SlimeTube has lasted almost 2 years!)
- October 2012 I had a new back tire after a little crack, too early but the newbie in me thought it better to replace the whole tire…
- April 2014 I changed the back tire to the front and put a brand new, beautiful deep black, tire to the back (I rode 15.612 kilometers with the tire which is now going for some more kilometers in the font)
- July 2015: new front and back Schwalbe Landcruisers (that means over 35,000 kilometer with two sets of Schwalbe, Mondial and Dureme). We could not get anything else so these will be temporarily.
- August 2015: Replaced the temporary Landcruisers by Mondial again.
- May 2013 renewed the front
- July 2013 renewed the rear
- June 2014 ‘renewed’ the rear with old, almost worn out front pads
- June 2014 renewed the front
- July 2014 renewed rear brake pads
- May 2015 renewed rear brake pads
- May 2015 renewed front brake pads
- June 2016 renewed rear brake pads
- November 2016 renewed front brake pads
- June 2014 back brake screw in handle is worn out, tightening the brake pad doesn’t work anymore
- July 2014 two new brake screws placed in brake-handle
- May 2015 the same happens again! Screws in brake-handle are completely worn out.
- November 2015 brake cable in front snapped.
- June 2016 new screw in rear brake handle.
- November 2016 new screw in front brake handle.
- The metal alike (plastic) design around the handlebar, where the actual brake-handle is connected to, has broken.
- April 2017 rear brake cable snapped.
- July 2013 the back wheel has got all brand new spokes, as a quite few broke spontaneously in Africa.
- October 2014: wearing of bearings Shimano pedals, fitted new Shimano ATB flat pedals
Rohloff, cables and handle bar shifter:
- July 2013 renewed handle bar shifter
- October 2014: hub send in for repair. The hub slips continuously: new driver, hub cables for internal renewed, new seals and bolts.
- March 2017 seal has been damaged, much oil leakage
Sprocket & chain blade:
- April 2013 I changed the sprocket for a new one, the front chain blade/ring was turned too
- May 2014 turned the sprocket
- July 2014 changed the sprocket for a new one, renewed the chain blade/ring and it’s protector as they were bended.
- August 2015, changed the sprocket for a new one.
- June 2016, changed the front chain blade/ring from 42 to 36 teeth
- September 2015 new seat post
- March 2014 stand broke off after one of the two screws broke off months ago, the thread of the screw opening was damaged badly by trying to get the broken screw out
- April 2014 key breaks
- May 2015 front rack broken (due to rough handling when flying), renewed.